Monday, March 21, 2011

Just about ready to go to the framer

As I have been working away trying to prepare for an exhibition, I feel somewhat relieved that I now have completed enough work. The images I am posting today are borderline/maybe for the framer. Still undecided. As usual all of my work is an interpretation of environmental factors and the Tsunami has formed a great part of the prints I will be exhibiting. The prints will include the techniques of collagraph, screenprints and encaustic.




Bottom Dwellers: Collagraph on encaustic over Hahnemulle paper.


Tsunami in three parts: Collagraph viscosity print.


 Lichen: Breakdown screenprint with encaustic on Stonehenge grey paper.

Life force: Breakdown screenprint with encaustic on Stonehenge grey paper.

None of the above are framed. The dyes used for the breakdown printing have the most gorgeous colours with an intensity and clarity that is hard to get using inks. At the same time, I love the subtlety of tones that can be achieved using inks. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Breakdown - what breakdown?

Well, I have been toiling away at the rockface this past week. It seems to be taking me longer to get into the flow of work due to other commitments. Nevertheless, thought I would post a few of the images to come from my woodcuts/screenprint breakdown prints. Whew! that's a mouthful. Click on the images to see a close up view.

Two woodcut blocks onto screen then printed using yellow dye.






One woodcut block onto screen with dye dribbles, dried then printed with red thickened dye.

One woodcut block onto screen with black cherry dye, dried, then printed with chartreusse thickened dye.



Still working on this technique, but every time I go back to it, I learn something new.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Love the process

Am trying the breakdown printing onto fabric. It is quite different to the results on paper but challenging and enjoyable nontheless. The MX dyes are quite bright and as I mixed them stronger this time, the colours are proving to be a bit more cantankerous. Today I will work on toning them down more. The screens started out looking really beautiful and I must admit, this is an enjoyable experience for me to not know what I am going to get. The first two images are the screens ready for printing.






 The bottom image is also a screen ready for printing. The images in the centre show the result of  all screens printed onto the fabric. I then used some water media to draw onto the piece. Jury is still out!