Saturday, March 17, 2012

The second piece for the day

This work is titled "Urban Industry". It is encaustic on a woodcut. Lots of scraping back. If you look closely you will be able to see the woodblock.

There is something truly satisfying in the destroying and constructing part of encaustic painting. Now I need to go for a walk to allow the day to percolate.

Look at me now.

This morning this started out as a raw piece of work. The colours were too harsh and I didn't think there was enough textural variety. Nevertheless, I pressed on and here is the end result.

Feel much happier now.

The beginning of an encaustic woodcut

This morning, couldn't wait to make a start, so was in my studio in dressing gown and slippers, working on this plate. Only the beginning, but hopefully will develop during the day after using a few more processes.

As it was still dark, the flash disturbs the centre a bit, but will see it more clearly as I work on it. I really like the chatter marks from the very flexible scraper I used. When I fuse, it will need to be very light so they are retained.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

So, here are the finished pieces




The top three are after being monoprinted with encaustic paint and then sealed with encaustic medium on a hotplate.

The bottom image is after screen printing onto the rusted paper.


Monday, March 12, 2012

Paper is usually my matrix

 Some bits and bobs of rusty stuff which I am continuously collecting on my long walks. I find some good stuff.




Overnight, I rusted some rag paper and two silk habutai scarves. As dyeing is something new to me, I held my breath as I washed the scarves to get rid of excess rust and the vinegar used to hasten the process. To my amazement, nothing went wrong. Still lovely and bright and rusty. So far, so good. Next, a soda soak to allow me to overprint with procion dyes. Again, I held my breath, as I thought this might alter something, but no, again, so far, so good. Now they are hanging up to dry, ready for me to silkscreen onto tomorrow with thickened dye.

I placed the three pieces of rag paper over the top of the silk scarves with more rusty bits and bobs. The purple stain is from a really old penny. This is the reaction of the copper with the vinegar I suspect, although it did not work on the silk. Go figure.

Tomorrow, I intend to overprint both the silk scarves and the paper.

Friday, March 9, 2012

No press - no worries

For the past couple of months I have not had access to a press, so trying to maintain my practice of working each week, I decided to do some breakdown screenprinting onto silk scarves for a Gallery I am part of.

Breakdown screenprinting is such a therapeutic activity and there has to be a rhythm developed to get the desired results. This works for me.

The first two images have been printed onto a silkscreen from a woodcut using Procion MX dyes thickened with Sodium Alginate.



Here are some prepared and dried screens ready for using next time. The images were developed on the screen by squeegying Black Cherry dye over found natural objects.


 The scarf pictured has just been completed and I am waiting for it to dry to just damp, then I will batch it.


I used newspaper masks to achieve the effect in the following 2 images. Once batched, they will probably look quite different.


Now I just want it to hurry up and dry enough to be wrapped in plastic overnight and rinsed and dried tomorrow.